On 16th January, NWH/GVRC and Makueni County government launched a Gender Based Violence Recovery Centre (GBVRC) at the Makueni County Referral Hospital. The first of its kind to be launched in a county hospital.
The launch was officiated by nominated Member of Parliament Cecily Mbarire; Hon. Governor Kivutha Kibwana; deputy governor, Makueni County Hon. Adelina Mwau; county women representative Hon. Rose Museo; Nairobi County assembly speaker Hon.Beatrice Elachi and to represent GVRC, the Founder and Director of Strategy, Nairobi Women’s Hospital Group, Dr. Sam Thenya.
Hon. Kibutha Kibwana and Dr. Sam Thenya signed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding which lays out a framework for collaboration between the parties to develop, promote and strengthen joint actions and collaboration towards prevention, reporting and quick response to gender-based violence in Makueni County.
The MoU stipulates that the Gender Violence Recovery Centre of Nairobi Women’s Hospital will:
- Offer technical support on the establishment and management of the County Referral Hospital Gender Based Violence Recovery Center (GBVRC).
- Conduct capacity building on gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and response for key stakeholders and service providers.
- Receive referrals on specialized GBV cases.
- Have joint technical coordination and primary prevention programs in Makueni County
- Have joint resource mobilization with Makueni County
Both parties plan to have further collaboration that will result in the setup of more recovery centres in other counties.